John 3: 16 (NIV)

John 3:16 (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Office

When I look out my office window I see a view of the construction of the new surgical ward. I also see women going to the CREN, which is our nutrition centre. This is the place that doctors send women with malnourished children. They will stay there and get training on better feeding and nutrition for their children. Typically the children are there until they are strong enough to survive outside. The women cannot afford this service so the Hospital relies on donations to keep the CREN operating. (Hint, hint) If you want to donate contact SIM and tell them you want to contribute to the Galmi Nutition/Rehab Centre - Project 097252.


It is amazing to see these women with babies strapped to their backs, carrying heavy loads on their heads and other things like pots and pans in their hands.

Of course I also hear a lot of children crying from hunger, but in the midst of all of that you would be amazed at their smiles. It is the one thing that I marvel at with these people. Life can be so hard for them yet they can hit you with just awesome smiles, especially the children.

This morning was almost like a Canadian spring morning. The air was cool and there was a brisk breeze. It felt great to have breakfast outside. Then I walk to the office, which is just outside the back of the hospital and I get hit with the "smell" that eminates from there. I can be overpowering sometimes. I also see a lot of hospital patients in the back around the hospital. A lot are just seeking shade under the office roof overhang. My heart breaks for these people when I see some of their conditions. They will set up with a blanket and have their meals outside the hospital. The whole family gathered to share in a meagre meal. They love it when you acknowledge them with a wave or a greeting.

No comments: