John 3: 16 (NIV)

John 3:16 (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Monday, May 6, 2019

Fishing Season


I remember when May would come around and I would start getting excited about the start of fishing season.  That’s what the May long weekend was about for me.  I remember pulling out all of my fishing gear and making sure all the tackle was good and all the lines were ready for the season. 

I loved sitting in a boat, or on shore, casting my line.  Waiting for that tug on the other end and the joy of battle with the monster fish I would typically catch.

Sitting in a boat, there were many times when Grace and I would have wonderfully, peaceful times of solitude and we would talk about life and share our dreams and goals for the future.  They were amazing times to grow closer to God and to each other.

This picture is typical of life when fishing with Grace.


Now when May comes around, we are looking at temperatures over 40 degrees every day. No lakes or streams to go fishing in our area, just lots of sand and dust.  In Niger, in May, the excitement is in the increased availability of mangoes.  While this is a wonderful treat it is not the same as fishing season in Manitoba.

As I contemplated these things, and our ministry, I thought of this verse:

Matthew 4:18-20 (NIV)

18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.

So, now here we are, on the edge of the Sahara Desert.  There is no boat and there is no cool water with spring fresh fish voraciously biting our fishing lures.  Now we are fishing in a stifling hot land, trying to set our hooks into a new adventure.  There have been lots of nibbles and we are certain that the Holy Spirit has landed a few.

With your prayer support we will continue to be fishers in the hope that those who continue to nibble at the truth will indeed allow the Holy Spirit to work in their lives.

I love the above passage from Matthew 4, and I love following Jesus.  As much as I love fishing, I love following Jesus even more.



Blessings to all

Orest

No comments: