John 3: 16 (NIV)

John 3:16 (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Feed the Hungry

In our last post I talked about our time in Galmi.  What I did not mention was the fact that as we were driving the 193 km to Galmi we saw many children pleading for food on the side of the road.  This was unexpected and we were not prepared to deal with this.  The children would wave and bring their hands to their mouths to indicate that they were hungry.

While in Galmi we bought a tia (large bowl) of peanuts and filled 11 bags.  When I returned to Galmi I was to hand them out to those who were pleading for food.

The first stop I made I saw a number of children crying for food so I threw them 3 bags of peanuts.  They were on the other side of the road.  They were exuberant.

At the next stop I handed out one bag after which I was inundated with people.  The last 7 bags went out very quickly.  I cannot forget the absolute desperation in the faces of these people.  They attacked the car with a ferociousness I have never seen as they reached into the car trying to get some food. Their need for nourishment was extreme.  I was not afraid of their rush at the car.  I was saddened.  I have never seen a demonstration of need such as this.  Then there was the impact it had on me as I handed out these peanuts and the fact that I was foolish enough to think that 11 bags was sufficient.

I also tell this story because it happened at Easter.  As I look at social media I see a great many postings about celebrations, food and our general indulgences.  I acknowledge that we also celebrated Easter with family and much food.

But as I contemplate all this I think about these verses from Matthew 25:

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
We need to be vigilant to the needs of those around us because when we read further in the passage we see what happens to those who do not look after the needy.

I
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.
I do not write this as a condemnation of anyone other than myself for my lack of insight in not being more aware of the needs of those around me.

May God bless all of  you

Orest



No comments: